Hi,

On 2013-02-10 22:06, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:

>>> Obviously a news item should precede any deprecation of stable profiles.
>>>

>> I think it is too late now. The big red warning is already there.
>
> To be honest I did not really see the necessity since the "big red warning"
> exactly tells you what to do (and even which profile to pick, which would be
> more complicated in a news item).
>
> Then again, that's a matter of personal preference, too.

Actually, if you could add a note that before switching to the new profile,
you should update portage if it's old, that would be even more user-friendly:

I just saw the big red warning on a not-so-well-maintained Gentoo box today,
switched to the new profile, and then portage would only do read-only
operations. So I had to figure out how to change the profile back manually
(because the old profile also isn't shown in eselect anymore), before I
could update portage and then switch to the new profile again.

Patrick.