On 02/13/2013 08:08 AM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
> Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina schrieb:
>> atmel-firmware ipw2100-firmware ipw2200-firmware b43-firmware
>> b43legacy-firmware rtl8192su-firmware zd1201-firmware
>> zd1211-firmware
>>
>> None of these are blockers on linux-firmware, none of these are
>> included in linux firmware, none of these should be masked with no
>> replacement as we are breaking approximately 90% of wifi cards on
>> laptops built in the last 5 years.
>
> I think your 90% figure is unsubstantiated and likely too high. Many
> budget laptops nowadays use Realtek, Ralink or Atheros chipsets which
> have firmware in linux-firmware.git
> Firmware for iwlwifi is in linux-firmware.git too (Intel 3945ABG was
> introduced in 2006)
> For new Broadcom chipsets (following the launch of the
> brcmsmac/brcmfmac drivers in 2010) the same is true. Users of older
> chipsets can still use b43-fwcutter.

I meant the older devices, I know a lot of people using ipw2200 and
b43legacy/b43 cards from long before ralink was fancy.

>> Only the following acctually show masked when I update:
>> -net-wireless/rtl8192su
>
> That firmware is not useful with modern kernels.

Yup, fixed

>> Due to the damage this will cause I am removing the mask on these
>> NOW, I will cleanup the ebuilds today but this is bad, really
>> really bad. If we are cleaning up linux-firmware that's great, but
>> someone needs to check that the things we are masking/removing are
>> actually in linux-firmware...
>
> You were asked to file a bug report in the mask message if you want to
> keep them. I agree that the following should stay:
> atmel-firmware
> ipw2100-firmware
> ipw2200-firmware
> zd1201-firmware
> zd1211-firmware

Remove firmware from users systems with no upgrade path and then ask
users to file a bug? That's pretty awesome, how can those people file a
bug when you break their network connections?  I agree, my reaction was
a bit strong, but the non-chalance about breaking people's systems isn't
cool.  Far more thought needs to go into masking things like firmware in
the future.  A mail should be put on the list and experts should be
consulted.  I have 200 wifi cards myself, if you want to know for sure
what is required and what isn't, you only have to ask me to test... I'm
sure others are happy to test things in their respective areas rather
than see things masked because "if users need it they will complain".

> About the others, losing them is not too dramatic.

This was worked out between ssuominen and myself on irc nearly a week
ago.  I believe we were both happy when we were done.  Sorry for not
updating the list but the issue hasn't been dire for a while.

- -Zero