On 16/02/2013 07:08, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
> What happens why a user runs --depclean and has a masked package
> installed? Oh that's right, it uninstalls.  My systems do that
> automatically, but you are welcome to assume "stupid user didn't read
> messages" if that is easier.

That's not right. It doesn't.

emerge -avuDN blah-blah-blah

!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- media-gfx/blender-2.64a::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
/var/cache/portage/tree/profiles/package.mask:
# Diego Elio Pettenò <flamee...@gentoo.org> (05 Feb 2013)
# Needs a complete ebuild rewrite to use CMake, and a new patchset to
# unbundle the bundled libraries. Use at your own risk; don't ask for
# a bump unless you can provide the two needed items.

emerge --depclean

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

 x11-misc/makedepend
    selected: 1.0.4
   protected: none
     omitted: none

All selected packages: x11-misc/makedepend-1.0.4

So, I'm afraid you're exaggerating a little bit. Yes, we should look
better in which firmware packages to remove (because they are merged in
linux-firmware or the driver is gone), but that does not mean we should
not ever consider touching ever a single one of them.

And I mean, we've had quick-stable updates that were much more
destructive than "just" removing the firmware of the nic (which is most
likely still available to emerge if the user is not using eclean-dist).
udev-197 anyone?

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
flamee...@flameeyes.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/