Fabio Erculiani schrieb:
> Not all the Gentoo users are as skilled as you (a developer). Having a
> programmatic, bootloader agnostic way to swap /sbin/init is useful for
> the reasons I explained. Yet I haven't read any solid reason not to do
> that.

Another bootloader agnostic way is to pass init=.. via CONFIG_CMDLINE. Not
carrying more deviations from upstream than necessary is a worthwhile goal
for any sane distro. Especially when it has not even been attempted to get
this change merged upstream.

>> Either way, it's pretty simple.
>
> If it's that simple, why on earth do we have all the eselect modules we have!?
[...]
> Why aren't we telling people to just edit config files!?

I don't see your point? Besides eselect modules which manage symlinks when
users could instead edit configuration files, there exist eselect modules
which modify config files for the user, or those where symlinks are managed
without an equivalent editing of configuration files, or where symlinks are
managed in an upstream approved way.

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn