On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 03:39:25PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Fabio Erculiani <lx...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> If you manually write your own configuration for GRUB2, it is no more
> >> convoluted than for GRUB Legacy.
> >>
> >> If you use grub-mkconfig to generate a configuration file, you can
> >> append the init option by setting
> >> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" in
> >> /etc/default/grub.
> >
> > Not all the Gentoo users are as skilled as you (a developer). Having a
> > programmatic, bootloader agnostic way to swap /sbin/init is useful for
> > the reasons I explained. Yet I haven't read any solid reason not to do
> > that.
> >

> I was just providing some technical insight as the maintainer of that
> package; I didn't mean to set off another tangent, but oh well.
>
> Editing a configuration file does not require some great level of
> skill. I think you give our users too little credit. Give them
> good/simple documentation, and they can run with it.

Agreed. All of our users who have installed Gentoo by following the
handbook know how to edit configuration files since there are several
they are required to edit as part of the installation process.

You have to do some work to maintain a Gentoo system. We are not and do
not claim to be a distro where everything "just works" out of the box.

> I am not strongly opposed your eselect module for init; I just think
> it is unnecessary. Adjusting a bootloader config is not the mystical
> impossibility that you seem to make it out to be. If it were, we would
> have automated it along with kernel building and initramfs generation.

 Right. I think it is completely unnecessary given what we consider the
 basic knowledge level of our users. It causes more work for the
 developers with no gain for users.

William