On Wed, 29 May 2013 14:15:54 -0400
"Walter Dnes" <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> In order for a different init system to come up, some file(s)
> somewhere *MUST* be different, no ifs/ands/ors/buts.

How true is this in general? It is usually only a change of the init
parameter. As far as I heard there is only one exception, /etc/inittab
being different between just two init systems; if you know more
exceptions, feel free to list them. So, please prove your statement.

> The problem with an eselect approach is that it's like asking a brain
> surgeon to operate on himself.

eselect and wrappers don't operate on themselves, please elaborate.

> The proper procedure is to have another brain surgeon operate on him
> while the patient is under anesthesia.

Actually no, we're going a step further. The eselect doesn't touch the
wrapper, but only its config; it's like actually changing brain memory.

> There are a couple of other possible approaches...
>
> 1) If the 2 systems can achieve peacefull co-existance (i.e. no
> identically-named files with different contents) then simply have 2
> boot entries in /etc/lilo.conf (or grub equivalant)...
>
> [SNIP to shorten mail]

Users can already do this, this isn't a solution.

We want to make this easier towards the user, therefore doing heavy
discussion to exhaust all the alternatives and maybe someone's
interested in implementing one of them that appears most feasible.

> > Having an initr* as a requirement for being able to switch init
> > system is maybe a bit too much to ask; same as above, iff nothing
> > else ...
>
> 2) We already have such a solution; it's called the Gentoo minimal
> install ISO.

I agree, I have mine always available; yet some people are consistent
in coming up with solutions for when all hell breaks lose.

> If the 2 init systems conflict over identically-named
> files, I strongly recommend that the changes be done while booted
> from a gentoo minimal install ISO.
>
> [SNIP to shorten mail]

Again: Users can already do this, this isn't a solution. See above...

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D