William Hubbs posted on Wed, 29 May 2013 19:22:32 -0500 as excerpted:

> We could probably also turn gcc-config into an eselect module if we want
> to use that argument.

IIRC it actually was, at one point.  The eselect gcc module even allowed
separate configs for 32-bit and 64-bit on at least amd64/multilib.

However, the gentoo dev, Jeremy Huddleston IIRC (tho I used to get him
and another dev with I believe the same initials mixed up, so I might
have gotten the wrong one), that developed and maintained the package
moved on (IIRC to Apple... looks like he's still there if I'm googling
the same one?), and nobody cared to take it up so it rotted until it was
masked and I guess eventually removed.

Since then I guess nobody's dared (or simply didn't have the prioritized
time if they dared) mess with the existing gcc-config enough to try to
turn it into an eselect module again.