On Wed, 29 May 2013 22:52:58 -0400
"Walter Dnes" <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> > > In order for a different init system to come up, some file(s)
> > > somewhere *MUST* be different, no ifs/ands/ors/buts.
> >
> > How true is this in general? It is usually only a change of the init
> > parameter.
>
> Where is the init parameter changed?

Wherever it needs to be changed.

> [... SNIP] byte-identical hard drives [SNIP ...]

You either change it at boot time or on the hard drive.

> > > The problem with an eselect approach is that it's like asking a
> > > brain surgeon to operate on himself.
> >
> > eselect and wrappers don't operate on themselves, please elaborate.
>
> The operating system is changing itself.

The world is changing itself.

> > > [SNIP to shorten mail]
> >
> > Users can already do this, this isn't a solution.
>
>   If users can already do it themselves, then why this entire thread?
> Why do we need eselect/whatever?

For the same reason we have all the other eselect modules.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/eselect/

Ironically, that project description even mentions init system... :)

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D