On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 09:56:00PM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote

> "Walter Dnes" <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
>
> > In order for a different init system to come up, some file(s)
> > somewhere *MUST* be different, no ifs/ands/ors/buts.
>
> How true is this in general? It is usually only a change of the init
> parameter.

  Where is the init parameter changed?  Even if it's only the "append"
line in /etc/lilo.conf, my above statement still holds true.  If you've
got two identical machines with byte-identical hard drives, they can not
boot two different OS's or init systems.

> > The problem with an eselect approach is that it's like asking a brain
> > surgeon to operate on himself.
>
> eselect and wrappers don't operate on themselves, please elaborate.

  The operating system is changing itself.

> > [SNIP to shorten mail]
>
> Users can already do this, this isn't a solution.

> > [SNIP to shorten mail]
>
> Again: Users can already do this, this isn't a solution. See above...

  If users can already do it themselves, then why this entire thread?
Why do we need eselect/whatever?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>