On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 17:50:24 +0300
Alon Bar-Lev <alo...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> So users will have gnome working but not any other component? How can
> this a good service for  users?

Just like we can't ensure that everything builds with LLVM doesn't mean
we shouldn't support packages that only build with GCC, neither does it
mean we can't support packages that only build with LLVM; we do our
best to aim them to build with both as a means of good service to our
users, but if it doesn't build for one of the other there's not much we
can do about that other than trying to fix. The same applies to build
systems, documentation generation, the compression used and so on....

If we didn't support alternatives, we would only have stuff in the tree
that solely supports GCC, plain Makefiles and so on; and anything that
only works with LLVM, CMake and so on would never be a part. This isn't
the Gentoo that I want to pursue; I agree that an alternative not being
supported isn't a good service for "all" users, but for "some" users it
is a good alternative. Let's not put those users in the dark.

The support for systemd is increasing; the support for other components
looks good to most of us, and those that don't work will likely work in
the near future except for those that have a hard dependency on OpenRC.

I'm willing to belief that the small set of software that has that kind
of hard dependency can also be made supported or simply replaced.

Good service in a meta distro is making alternative choices available.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D