On 08/09/2013 04:57 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
> Alon Bar-Lev schrieb:
>>> I think there may be a misunderstanding here. He only said that if you
>>> want to run Gnome 3.8, then switch to systemd. Because the Gnome team
>>> will not support any other configuration.
>>>
>>> He did not say that everyone should install systemd, nor that you need
>>> to support such a configuration.
>> So users will have gnome working but not any other component? How can
>> this a good service for  users?
>
> I am not sure what you mean by that. But every developer is free to
> commit and support in Gentoo whatever package he wishes to, within
> limitations set by policy.
> And when a package is 30 days in tree and there is no objection from QA
> or security teams then it can go stable.

No, that is definitely not how stabilization works and I was told
something different during my recruitment process.

* the package must be _stable_ (as in... it works on different setups...
this is already not true for gnome), no severe outstanding bugs either
upstream or in gentoo (broken openrc compatibility is a severe bug)
* 30 days is just a guideline, nothing more. Just following that without
caring about anything else will not improve our stable branch
* QA and security do not monitor every stabilization bug. the maintainer
has to track those issues in the first place
* reverse deps have to work

I don't care what people think about OpenRC or systemd. I support BOTH.
If a package only supports one, that is a BUG (and in this case... a
regression even).

This is similar to gcc vs clang. Clang is not ready yet to be used
system-wide, so gcc is still our main implementation and the default (as
in: shipped in stage3). Even if clang was stable... a package that does
not compile with gcc would never be allowed to go stable. We want it to
work on BOTH compilers.

If you can't make that happen, then that's okay. But don't attempt to
call that package stable then. It's not.