On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Alon Bar-Lev <alo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
> <chith...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Alon Bar-Lev schrieb:

>>> Again, I repeat my-self.
>>>
>>> Please stop writing these statements!
>>>
>>> There was no decision to support Gentoo using any other layout than
>>> openrc (baselayout).
>>
>> I think there may be a misunderstanding here. He only said that if you
>> want to run Gnome 3.8, then switch to systemd. Because the Gnome team
>> will not support any other configuration.
>>
>> He did not say that everyone should install systemd, nor that you need
>> to support such a configuration.
>
> So users will have gnome working but not any other component? How can
> this a good service for  users?

For the record, everything I use (desktop, laptop, media center,
servers, etc.) uses Gentoo with systemd. Several of them doesn't have
GNOME (the servers obviously don't even have X). All the "components"
in my use cases (which I confess are really standard) work.

In my experience, if it works in Gentoo with OpenRC, it will work with
systemd (and, IMHO, sometimes better).

The other way around is, obviously as per this whole thread, not true.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México