On 11/6/13 7:15 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
> The synopsis of the situation is that the latest firefox ebuild now
> depends on icu, specifically icu-50.1 or above.  When this version of
> firefox was added to the tree, the lowest version of icu in the tree
> was icu-51.0 -- in fact, icu-48 through icu-50 were dropped from the
> tree about 2 months prior to the new firefox being added.
>
> The bug that was filed, is that a user didn't do a full emerge -uDN
> @world prior to emerging (upgrading?) firefox, and they had icu-49
> already installed.  Because the firefox dep didn't have a minimum
> version, portage didn't see upgrading icu as a requirement before
> firefox emerged.

I've seen things like that happening.

I wouldn't really create yet another policy (it doesn't make things
happen). I'd leave it up to the maintainer: it'd be fine to declare it
not a bug, and it'd also be fine to fix.

I'm generally leaning toward fixing and adding the minimum version to
deps. Helps the users, and doesn't really hurt maintainability.

Paweł