On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 06/11/13 12:56 PM, yac wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 16:48:54 +0100 Alexis Ballier
>> <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>> this is a common misconception: ebuilds must have min. deps
>>> matching their requirements (exactly because of this problem)
>>>
>>> it can be fixed on the user side by 'emerge -uDN world' meanwhile
>>> but this doesn't mean the ebuild doesn't have a bug, even if
>>> minor
>>>
>>> Alexis.
>>
>> When I started contributing via sunrise, I've been adding the
>> minimal versions of dependencies as declared by upstream but I met
>> with very strict enforcement of the policy to not specify minimal
>> version if all the ones in current tree satisfies.
>>
>> Is it documented somewhere or is it just unwritten consensus?
>>
>> What I see is only Ebuild Policy [1e] which doesn't deal with
>> this.
>>
>> .. [1e]
>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1
>>

> I searched as well, and couldn't find anything documented one way or
> the other, either.  I concluded that it's unwritten consensus.
>
> That's the main reason I wanted to start this discussion -- to
> effectively start documenting it and get dev's all on the same page.
> To be honest I think it should be policy or at least a written-down
> guideline, that dev's should do this within reason -- if an
> older-than-minimum version of something has been in the tree within
> the past year.  Gone for more than a year should be safe, I expect.

I don't think a time limit is necessary here. If there is an
identified incompatibility, we should update DEPEND.

Note that I do not expect devs to go out of their way to test for the
oldest supported version of a dependency; they just shouldn't close
bugs as INVALID of someone else has done the work.