On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:23:58 +0000
hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > That's not really helpful advice: dynamic dependencies can't be
> > fixed. Instead, you should say that anyone who thinks they have an
> > idea on how to fix dynamic deps should think about it until they
> > understand why it's wrong...
>
> I was rather talking about the "fix useless rebuilds" issue. It's a
> valid point.

It's like saying "OK, the house is on fire, but I really like the
wallpaper, so we should just stay in the building"...

> What would you suggest? Can the VDB be fixed in another way to avoid
> such rebuilds?

There are ways of doing it, if you're prepared to make ebuild authors
put in an awful lot of work for very little gain. But it shouldn't be a
priority, and we need to fix existing breakages before doing something
ambitious like that.

--
Ciaran McCreesh