Ciaran McCreesh:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:23:58 +0000
> hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> That's not really helpful advice: dynamic dependencies can't be
>>> fixed. Instead, you should say that anyone who thinks they have an
>>> idea on how to fix dynamic deps should think about it until they
>>> understand why it's wrong...
>>
>> I was rather talking about the "fix useless rebuilds" issue. It's a
>> valid point.
>
> It's like saying "OK, the house is on fire, but I really like the
> wallpaper, so we should just stay in the building"...
>
>> What would you suggest? Can the VDB be fixed in another way to avoid
>> such rebuilds?
>
> There are ways of doing it, if you're prepared to make ebuild authors
> put in an awful lot of work for very little gain. But it shouldn't be a
> priority, and we need to fix existing breakages before doing something
> ambitious like that.

I agree. After all, we have *-bin packages for stuff like libreoffice,
pypy, firefox etc anyway if rebuilding is really a problem for someone.

That said, it might maybe even make more sense to provide an official
binhost, although that is probably not less ambitious as fixing VDB on
the fly.

Sounds like that would be an interesting gentoo project. But afais PMS
doesn't really specify how binary packages should look like, so we will
hit incompatibility problems there as well.