Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Wrong. The reason everything is such a mess at the moment is precisely
> because we've accumulated so much "good enough" and "not thinking your
> cunning plan all the way through"

There *is* no perfect solution.
And the reason why everything is such a mess at the moment is
that portage's implementation of subslot dependencies was
broken (because it used a mechanism which has broken dynamic deps).

*This* is what needs to be fixed but which is perhaps not
easy to fix.

However, changing the policy in a manner causing so many
unnecessary ebuilds (and fixing not all problems either)
is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

When having the choice between only non-perfect solutions,
I vote for the one which keeps the distribution usable.