On 11/08/15 10:19 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Sergey Popov <pinkb...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>> 11.08.2015 16:36, Rich Freeman пишет:

But without introducing brand new useless USE flag. Which makes huge

>>> If we want the typical user to not set either qt4 or qt5, are
>>> we saying that any package that could use either always enable
>>> one of them by default?  Then all users get a GUI by default,
>>> and then users have to explicitly disable it?  That seems to be
>>> the opposite of how we normally do things, but it does let you
>>> get away from having lots of users turning on qt.
>>
>> I suggested this for packages, where GUI can not be disabled AND
>> it should be either qt4 or qt5. Then, if we do not add + to USE
>> description, users without anything in make.conf just run the
>> blocker
>>

> What if the GUI can be disabled?  Should we force users to set
> USE="-qt4 -qt5" to disable the GUI?  Or should we force users to
> put one of those in their make.conf or profile to enable it
> (causing problems with packages that don't allow both)?

I think the idea with USE="gui" is that the generic profiles then no
longer need any qt4/qt5/gtk3/whatever flags in them at all, and the
ebuilds themselves can set a single default-enable on the particular
flag that should be used by default, thus allowing REQUIRED_USE to be
satisfied by default when an end-user doesn't care.

However, I agree that USE=gui still has the problem where the
sub-flags have active state in VDB, meaning that any change to the
sub-flags will trigger rebuilds on -N even if USE="-gui".  And since
(if i understand this thread correctly) part of the reason for doing
all of this is to ensure VDB is as "accurate" as possible to what the
package actually uses/needs/depends on/etc, we end up not having
solved anything.