On 10/30/15 3:35 PM, hasufell wrote:
On 10/30/2015 06:55 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
We have no way of saying 'I prefer polarssl, then gnutls, then
libressl, and never openssl'.
I don't think this is something that can be reasonably supported and it
sounds awfully automagic. And I don't see how this is possible right
now, so I'm not really sure what you expect to get worse.

E.g. -gnutls pulling in dev-libs/openssl is not really something you'd
expect. If we go for provider USE flags, then things become consistent,
explicit and unambiguous. The only problem is our crappy implementation
of providers USE flags via REQUIRED_USE.

I'm not sure what mgorny has in mind, but the problem I see with saying I want just X to be my provider system wide is that some pkgs build with X others don't, other pkgs might need a different provider. So it might make sense to order them in terms of preference: X1 > X2 > X3 ... and then when emerging a package, the first provider in the preference list that works is pulled in for that package.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]