On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Considering the original plan was to have changelogs auto-generated
> from git and still serving the tree via rsync, where's the relevant
> discussion and decision about this?

What discussion or decision is necessary?  As far as I'm aware nobody
has forbidden making changelogs available via rsync.  It just sounds
like there is a bug in their generation.  What is needed is for those
who want changelogs to fix the bug, not endless discussion.  If the
issue is infra access, just make your own mirror with working code and
I'm sure infra will borrow it, and if not nobody really HAS to use
infra.  I'm syncing from the github mirror that contains pre-generated
metadata for convenience, which is just one of the many options
available.

Nobody is actively preventing anybody from having what they want.
This isn't some corporation where we are paying people and we can
demand that the responsible parties fix things or lose their jobs.

Lots of effort has gone into making the git migration as seamless as
possible, but it was bound to be imperfect.  Personally I would have
been fine with less effort being spent on it than actually was.
Gentoo has never been a hand-holding distro.  I have nothing against
people who choose to invest their time into making it more helpful to
those who wish to use alternate tools (like changelogs), but I don't
favor telling those who are working on new features to not actually
deploy them unless THEY spend their time on such things as long as we
have a reasonable path forward for everybody.

So, if you want to see what has changed there are half a dozen ways of
doing it without using changelogs.

--
Rich