On 12/14/2015 04:00 AM, Brian Dolbec wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 22:20:01 +0300
> Andrew Savchenko <birc...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 18:36:51 +0100 Patrick Lauer wrote:
>>> Oh hey. We're in the future. Let's try to commit something to
>>> repo/gentoo.git!
>>>
>>> So apparently we're signing things with gpg now, so let's read the
>>> official documentation.
>>> The [1] wiki seems to be the canonical location for such things.
>
>>> Since signing is mandatory since the git migration, ahem, this means
>>> that no one in the last 5 months(!) actually followed the
>>> documentation (because that does NOT work!). I'm almost impressed,
>>> but, wow, this is enterprisey.
>> It is absolutely possible to create correct gpg key, put it into
>> LDAP according to GLEP and to sign commits and pushes properly.
>> What is not currently possible is to verify all tree automatically.
>>
>> I agree that gkeys needs more work. But we are all volunteers here.
>> You may help them if you are that interested into this
>> functionality.
>>
>> What worries me more that we still have no way for rsync users to
>> verify the portage tree (or Gentoo tree in the newspeak someone
>> prefers here). And most users use rsync.
>>
>>> So, what can we do to make this whole story of 'commit (and push) to
>>> repo/gentoo.git' make sense? And why do I appear to be the only one
>>> to notice this chain of breakage?!
>> We need to complete gkeys project, right? That's not all of the
>> story, but a start. So send patches :) As for the full story, we
>> still need to somehow verify rsync tree. For now only snapshots are
>> verified.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Andrew Savchenko
> Thank you Andrew.
>
> Let me first say, that while I am leading the gentoo-keys project.  I
> have not been doing much with making progress to get another release
> out.  My time is mostly taken up by full time work, add some health
> issues (not serious), plus with coding full time now (it was just a
> hobby before).  I am finding it difficult to switch codebases to keep
> development going in a non work project.  There is a certain amount of
> time needed to get back into the code to make any significant progress.
>
> But, one of the biggest things keeping me from doing more work on it
> when I do have some time, is the fact that barely any of the devs seem
> to care (other than the OP, who just seems to bitch about everything
> not working for him).  Since the GLEP 63 spec has been approved.
> Barely any of the gentoo developers have even tried to update their gpg
> key or generate a new one that does meet the spec.  For that reason, I
> have not endeavored to get more done in it.  I've been trying to
> keep the gentoo-devs seed file reasonably up to date, but since there
> are few devs actually fixing or generating new keys, it is not needed
> that often.  In fact weeks go by before there is a change in LDAP in
> [...]
Ok then.

Why.

WHYYYY

Why does the official documentation point me at gkeys-gen, which doesn't
work

On a wiki that's horribly broken

gkeys-gen, which has known showstopper-bugs for a year

Like seriously, every time I try to approach this set of problems I run
into enough stupidity that it takes me about a week until I even want to
try again.

Yes of course I could read a few different bits of documentation and
make educated guesses. But why do we have documentation then when it's
not adequate, and why do we have a helper tool when it doesn't work?

... and now I walk away for another week, in the hope that things maybe
are saner then. Just to find even more bugs, I expect, but no one uses
the documentation anyway, so it doesn't matter, and why am I even
bothering to reply to this insanity.