On 5/8/16 7:25 AM, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 8. Mai 2016, 01:52:22 schrieb Patrice Clement:
>>
>> What is the correct course of action? I would very much like it to be
>> worded in a document (GLEP and/or Wiki page) so that confusion is avoided
>> and we all are on the same page on this topic.
>>

> * However... as the past months have shown, when using merges it is much
> easier to accidentally mess up the entire tree than using rebases alone.
>
> * So, in an ideal world we would use merges wisely and sparingly.

Correct.  I don't support outright banning merge commits, but they
should be reviewed carefully, like we do with other big commits to the
tree.  So maybe proceed as follows:

1. announce to gentoo-dev@ the intention to start a branch intending to
merge

2. hack hack hack

3. test the merge for any conflicts etc,

4. announce to the list a date/time to merge

5. if okay, ermge

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]