William L. Thomson Jr. posted on Sun, 16 Oct 2016 18:30:44 -0400 as
excerpted:

> Then how would you test that against non official? You cannot install
> the same package twice at the same time with different USE flags. You
> can't even make binaries easily of the same package with different USE
> flags. The previous binary will get overwritten.

AFAIK, with current portage now you can have multiple binaries of the
same package, with different USE flags or built with different CFLAGS or
whatever, tho the feature's off by default.

It's not my use-case so I've not followed the details, but AFAIK it's now
an actual supported option. =:^)