> On 17/10/16 08:41, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
>> To be clear I would suggest at MOST 3, -bin, -ebin, and -sbin.
>> NO more.

> I don't see what problem you are trying to solve. Gentoo is a
> source-based distro .. any binaries are a last-resort or most
> certainly should be. Having a policy may be useful, but I see no
> proposition on this thread yet?

How about the following? I believe it is more or less the current
practice:

"Gentoo usually builds its packages from source. Exceptionally,
a binary package can be provided instead (e.g., if upstream doesn't
provide a source) or in addition. Such packages should still follow
normal naming conventions and don't need any special suffix.

If a binary package is provided in addition to its source-based
equivalent, the name of the former should be suffixed with '-bin'
for distinction."

Ulrich