On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 19:55:44 -0400
Yury German <bluekni...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > On Mar 12, 2017, at 4:14 AM, Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org>
> > wrote:
> >

> > Also, it'd be nice to have something more formal for sec. cleanup:
> > "After 30 days a sec. issue has been fixed, sec. team is free to
> > cleanup old vulnerable versions.". I've seen too much pings by sec.
> > team members on old bugs for this and they could have spent the same
> > amount of time simply doing it instead.
>

> Alexis, here is a problem that I have noticed over the years.
> Everyone is short on time, but if the developers do not step in (and
> only some) and clean up the packages then we might as well make this
> another job for Security team as everyone will just leave it to
> security.
>
> Security looks at every security bug, and needs to do a lot of things
> behind the scenes. GLSA writing, look for CVE’s if not there, assign
> them to bugs in the CVE system used for GLSA’s. If no CVE’s exist
> communicate with upstream to see if it was requested, if not
> requested request it on their behalf and work with MITRE in getting
> it assigned. When you multiply that time over the 100+ security bugs
> at any time. Cleanup is not a 5 second thing as for me typing three
> characters to have that bug be submitted with that comment.
>
> The maintainer also knows the package, dependencies, other bugs
> filed, etc. Removing things for your packages might be simple, but it
> is not the same across all packages and that is the reason we ask the
> Maintainers to take an active step in cleaning up.

Agreed, but I was under the impression that sometimes sec. team was
waiting for cleanup to close a bug. If you've just done the analysis
that it is the only thing left, just do it and close the bug, instead
of pinging on the bug and re-do that analysis in a later pass. This
reduces context switches and makes everything more efficient :)