Am Mittwoch, 10. Mai 2017, 13:58:56 CEST schrieb Dirkjan Ochtman:
> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k...@gentoo.org>
wrote:
> > Sounds like a reasonable action plan. The consequences of such a change
> > definitely seems to be sufficiently high to merit a proper migration
> > plan which doesn't seem to have been established at this point. Whether
> > that can be added to a later point with gcc6 (e.g by adding a new
> > profile, or a later point release) I don't have strong opinions on, but
> > there should be a plan and proper overview of the consequences.
>
> Yeah, I think I agree. From the discussions so far, I think that we
> should definitely aim for making pie the default for everyone (on
> arches where it makes sense), but doing it in the gcc-6 now which has
> seen only a short period of testing so far seems a bit hasty based on
> data from the messages that I've seen in these threads so far.

Actually the idea I like best so far is Jason's profile suggestion.

* package.use.mask gcc[pie] in the 13.0 profiles

* generate a new set of profiles 17.0 where it's package.use.forced
* tell people they may have to rebuild world when they switch

-> This would also give us some time to discuss what other changes we might
make with the transition to the new profiles.

-> Also, this means the transition is independent of gcc release timing.

(We just need to be careful since hardened also inherits 13.0, so the setting
must be overridden there. As far as I can see that's already done there
though.)

--
Andreas K. Hüttel
dilfri...@gentoo.org