On 05/10/2017 09:52 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
> On Tue, 09 May 2017 18:58:42 -0500
> Matthias Maier <tam...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> This is a reworded news item (assuming we proceed with the plan to
>> default-enable USE=pie). Suggestions for improving the emerge command
>> to fix static archives is highly welcomed.
>>

> Really, I think the slot to have pie for gcc 6 has been missed by
> default-enabling it only recently. We should aim for gcc 7 at least and
> have proper testing.
>
> And add a few safety nets: A portage warning when installing non-pie
> binaries, something that dies with FEATURES=strict or stricter, like
> the textrel one we have. That is to avoid the quick n dirty
> 'append-ldflags -no-pie' that makes the whole thing about forcing pie
> questionable. If possible, detect static archives that have relocations
> too.
>
> Ideally provide a system scanning tool for the above too.
>

> After a few months of masked gcc7 like that we'll have enough data to
> decide on a proper plan. It'll probably be good to get QA in the loop
> and make this a QA goal too.

Sounds like a reasonable action plan. The consequences of such a change
definitely seems to be sufficiently high to merit a proper migration
plan which doesn't seem to have been established at this point. Whether
that can be added to a later point with gcc6 (e.g by adding a new
profile, or a later point release) I don't have strong opinions on, but
there should be a plan and proper overview of the consequences.

--
Kristian Fiskerstrand
OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net