On Tue, 09 May 2017 18:58:42 -0500
Matthias Maier <tam...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> This is a reworded news item (assuming we proceed with the plan to
> default-enable USE=pie). Suggestions for improving the emerge command
> to fix static archives is highly welcomed.

Really, I think the slot to have pie for gcc 6 has been missed by
default-enabling it only recently. We should aim for gcc 7 at least and
have proper testing.

And add a few safety nets: A portage warning when installing non-pie
binaries, something that dies with FEATURES=strict or stricter, like
the textrel one we have. That is to avoid the quick n dirty
'append-ldflags -no-pie' that makes the whole thing about forcing pie
questionable. If possible, detect static archives that have relocations
too.

Ideally provide a system scanning tool for the above too.

After a few months of masked gcc7 like that we'll have enough data to
decide on a proper plan. It'll probably be good to get QA in the loop
and make this a QA goal too.