On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 20:27:38 -0400
"Walter Dnes" <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> > Though I will have to see what happens if a package is listed in
> > more than one set. I think there is a hierarchy there.
>
>   I tried "emerge -pv --unmerge @palemoon_build", and it was ready to
> delete all the stuff, including gcc, etc.

Did you get any warnings? Your about to remove a system package, etc.

> > Not to mention if it was removed. I think the world or system set
> > would pull it back in.
>
>   Kind of hard to "pull it back in" if gcc or glib or ncurses isn't
> present.  This is rather dangerous.  The problem is that, unlike an
> ebuild, "emerge --unmerge @set" removes all packages in the set,
> regardless of whether they're required by another package or not.

It is the same as doing emerge -C gcc. At the same time if you built and
generated a binary package. On re-emerge you could pull in the gcc
binary you made when it was installed the first time. I love binary
packages, I make and use them all the time. Invaluable for re-emerging.

If you are making sets, adding system packages, and removing those. I
would assume you are doing that as some sort of testing. Which would
want to re-emerge/install those packages. Depending on what your doing
very likely would want to make and use binaries in that process. Surely
if removing system packages :)

>   I deleted /etc/portage/sets/palemoon_build, and the entry
> "@palemoon_build" from /var/lib/portage/world_sets.  It turns out that
> all these packages are required anyways.

Meaning little was removed after you did emerge --depclean world ?

--
William L. Thomson Jr.