On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 18:30:10 -0700
Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 4:46 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
> <wlt...@o-sinc.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 16:35:34 -0700
> > Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> >> For live-rebuild, it would be
> >> much nicer to have a framework that automatically triggers rebuilds
> >> when upstream changes are detected, like smart-live-rebuild.
> >
> > Which would require some sort of check to upstream to detect
> > changes on some interval.
>
> What I imagine is an option like --newuse that rebuilds packages with
> upstream changes. I suppose you could also have an option to rebuild
> if some interval has expired since the last rebuild.

That could be useful for all live packages without requiring a set. It
could also be used for packages that are part of a set. Like if  you
have a set of live ebuilds, plus some others one your system

emerge --live world

Updates all live ebuilds, in a set or not. That would be useful. I tend
to avoid emerging live ebuilds due to having to always re-emerge them.
Sets would help there. But a emerge option would be even better!!!

Could have cron run that, and then an interval in portage is not
necessary. I was more thinking some sort of hook to upstream to see if
there have been any commits or changes. No reason to rebuild a live
package if nothing changed :)

--
William L. Thomson Jr.