On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 6:39 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
<wlt...@o-sinc.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 18:30:10 -0700
> Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 4:46 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
>> <wlt...@o-sinc.com> wrote:

>> > Which would require some sort of check to upstream to detect
>> > changes on some interval.
>>
>> What I imagine is an option like --newuse that rebuilds packages with
>> upstream changes. I suppose you could also have an option to rebuild
>> if some interval has expired since the last rebuild.
>
> That could be useful for all live packages without requiring a set. It
> could also be used for packages that are part of a set. Like if  you
> have a set of live ebuilds, plus some others one your system
>
> emerge --live world
>
> Updates all live ebuilds, in a set or not. That would be useful. I tend
> to avoid emerging live ebuilds due to having to always re-emerge them.
> Sets would help there. But a emerge option would be even better!!!

Yeah, but it's not going to happen without an EAPI/PMS extension.
There needs to be a standard way for the package manager to check if
there has been an upstream change for a given package since the last
time it was rebuilt.

> Could have cron run that, and then an interval in portage is not
> necessary.

Doing updates via cron is inappropriate for most scenarios. I was
thinking that we'd have an option to rebuild if an interval has
expired *and* there has been an upstream change. That way, you can
limit the rate of rebuilds if upstream is changing very frequently.

> I was more thinking some sort of hook to upstream to see if
> there have been any commits or changes. No reason to rebuild a live
> package if nothing changed :)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking all along. That's why we need an
EAPI/PMS extension, in order to implement behavior like
smart-live-rebuild.
--
Thanks,
Zac