On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 21:30:06 -0700
Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Yeah, but it's not going to happen without an EAPI/PMS extension.
> There needs to be a standard way for the package manager to check if
> there has been an upstream change for a given package since the last
> time it was rebuilt.

Something to add to the next version possibly.

> > Could have cron run that, and then an interval in portage is not
> > necessary.
>
> Doing updates via cron is inappropriate for most scenarios. I was
> thinking that we'd have an option to rebuild if an interval has
> expired *and* there has been an upstream change. That way, you can
> limit the rate of rebuilds if upstream is changing very frequently.

I was thinking of cron like regular system updates. May want to rebuild
it nightly, etc. Interval can be done in a variety of ways. The main
issue is detecting if upstream has changed or not.

> > I was more thinking some sort of hook to upstream to see if
> > there have been any commits or changes. No reason to rebuild a live
> > package if nothing changed :)
>
> Yeah, that's what I was thinking all along. That's why we need an
> EAPI/PMS extension, in order to implement behavior like
> smart-live-rebuild.

Hopefully that will be in a future version so such can be added. Up to
PMS authors.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.