On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 00:42:46 -0700
Daniel Campbell <z...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >  - Sets used in profiles cannot have use expansion, versions or
> > anything beyond cat/pkg.
> This would break some set behavior, at least in Portage. Specifying a
> single version (or better, a slot) in a set is less work than adding
> lines to p.mask *and* the set file(s), and p.mask doesn't appear to
> support "!=cat/pkg-1.0" syntax to mimic the same functionality
> achieved by a versioned atom in a set. It also makes sense to put
> packages you want in a set instead of a mask. ">=" or "<=" may be
> adequate if you only want one slot or version installed, but the
> entire point of slots is to allow multiple versions to be installed
> simultaneously. Versioned package names in sets achieve this.

Valid point, and along those lines to make the rules for sets in
profiles easier.

- Sets in profiles can contain anything that is valid in a
  profile/packages file, less the * symbol.

I think that addresses both versions and slots. The rest, like use
expansion I believe is handled via package.use in profiles and not in
packages.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.