On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 12:24 AM, Kent Fredric <ken...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 19:33:11 -0700
> "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to get graphs of bugs.g.o bug queue size for certain
> > query (e.g. by assignee) over time?
> >
> > Best,
> > Paweł
> >

> The *data* is there to do it, but its a bit of a pain, you have to
> extract all the individual "changed" events and then use that to reason
> about each individual bugs state at a given time, and use *that* to
> deduce how many open bugs there *were* at a historical moment.
>
> And that's a lot of painful queries for the REST API.

I'd avoid the REST API here. If you want this data; I'd consider filing a
bug. Infra can do stuff like run nightly reports for this information and
hang them off of endpoints you can access.
This works well for public bugs; and not well for private ones.

> I've done something like this before with Perl bugs[1], but again, very
> painful, slow and time consuming.
>
> This sort of thing would be *much* easier if we could have direct bulk
> access to the underlying MYSQL store, but that's a tricky thing to do
> because:
>
> 1. Its MySQL
> 2. Some bugs have visibility restrictions that have to be factored for

In this way, you can download the (likely hundreds of megs) of JSON or
whatever, and do the sorting / filtering / timeseries work on the client
end?

Its not great I suspect, but it saves everyone hamming the database.

-A