On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 6:46 AM Ulrich Mueller <u...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > The sources are stored in proj/policy-guide.git [3].  If you wish to
> > submit your own changes, you can either use the 'Policy Guide' bugzilla
> > component [4] and/or GitHub mirror [5].
>
> Please, no github for official policies. We should have a permanent
> paper trail for this kind of things, which isn't guaranteed if the
> discussion would happen entirely on github.
>
> Besides, by the Social Contract we cannot rely on a non-free service
> for anything official.

The official sources aren't in github.  A bugzilla component is
available, so if github goes away there is no problem and we aren't
relying on it.

It looks like there is the optional ability to do work on github, just
as people can optionally talk about anything, anywhere.

If I have a chat with another package maintainer at a bar, and they
modify their ebuild and push that to the Gentoo repo on infra, and no
bug is ever opened, that is 100% within our current policy.  I don't
see how having that discussion on github instead of at the bar changes
things.

They're just offering an alternative place to get things done.
Anybody who wants to could just file a bug instead.

If we want to have an additional Gentoo policy that nobody is allowed
to discuss a Gentoo policy outside of the lists and bugzilla that
would of course create issues with stuff like github, and probably
non-logged IRC channels and private messages as well.  However, that
is not our current policy.  Plenty of council decisions happen with
much of the actual discussion not being recorded anywhere.  I'm not
sure you could reasonably operate in any other way, as people do need
the ability to talk things out without having to posture.

I feel like this discussion has already happened in the past though...

--
Rich