On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 1:45 PM Kent Fredric <ken...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 07:08:30 -0500
> Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > The official sources aren't in github.  A bugzilla component is
> > available, so if github goes away there is no problem and we aren't
> > relying on it.
>
> If github goes away after bugs and PR's are filed on github, then that
> historical context is lost, and may include the loss of open bugs and
> open PRs, which all may still be relevant.

Nothing of importance should be stored on github.

If you and I have a conversation at a bar, and as a result you decide
to make a commit without any useful comments, and then we both retire
from the project, just as much information is lost.

We don't require anybody to open a bug before making a commit today,
so why would we be concerned when non-required outside documentation
is stored in github?  That is more information than we already
require, so if it goes away nothing required by policy is lost.

If we made it a policy that all commits required some kind of peer
review in bugzilla, then of course we should do the same here.  Right
now we do not require that background for just about anything the
distro does be recorded anywhere.

If github's existence bothers you, then just pretend it doesn't exist
- stick it in your hosts file or block it at your router.  In theory
it shouldn't change your Gentoo experience at all.  :)

--
Rich