On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 13:54:33 -0500
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Nothing of importance should be stored on github.
>
> If you and I have a conversation at a bar, and as a result you decide
> to make a commit without any useful comments, and then we both retire
> from the project, just as much information is lost.

Its not that I'm saying that this should be forbidden, only that there
is a tangible risk of lost of useful information.

Having a discussion at a bar, and you making a commit as a result is
one thing, but if I discovered a bug, and then only told you about it
at the bar, that would be possibly bad, because there's no guarantee
that the bug is communicated sufficient to ensure it gets addressed,
and you may go home at the end of the night and entirely forget the bug
existed, and people could continue to suffer it, and potentially
neglect to report it as well. ( End users are substantially less likely
to file bugs, IME )

When I mention bugs to people on IRC, I often follow up with "Would you
like me to file a bug?".

Often, the answer is "yes".

The crux of the matter being bugs that exist, and are communicated
outside the core bug tracker, weaken the assurance that it will be seen
and fixed, which amounts to a negative thing.

I wouldn't forbid such a thing, just make it clear that doing so is a
lower standard of quality, has risks, and should come with a level of
discouragement.