On Tue, 2020-12-29 at 13:21 +0000, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Michał Górny wrote:
> > > 2.  Install them into different prefixes (eg /usr/lib/openssl +
> > > /usr/lib/libressl and have the linker link to a specific version,
> > > /usr/include/{openssl,libressl} too).
> >
> > For the record, this is something I've been wondering about for a
> > long
> > time.  However, there are two problems with that: a small one
> > and a huge one.
> >
> > The small problem is that this requires a lot of additional
> > downstream
> > work.  I mean, you have to explicitly support the choice in ebuilds,
> > and this means making things even harder for newcomers.
>
> pkg-config/pkgconf and .pc files can help with this part, taking care
> of all abstraction if/when downstream uses a libressl.pc.

As we have learned from the ncurses[tinfo] debacle, 80% of build systems
don't use the .pc files, and just guess "-lssl" flags and a bunch of
include dirs. Hence, this boils down to patching a mountain of build
systems again, which while being the ultimately correct way, is a pipe
dream.

> > The big problem is that (unless I'm mistaken) we won't be able to
> > load
> > LibreSSL and OpenSSL to the same executable.  So we'd actually have
> > enforce that the whole link chain links to the same SSL provider,
> > and effectively land pretty close to where we are now.
>
> I'd suggest investigating whether symbol versioning could help with
> this,
> or if the only way forward would indeed be to require some symbol
> mangling/rewriting.

While this sounds like a theoretical solution, it isn't tractable
because
1. We're inventing our own ABI that is incompatible with everyone else's
2. We'd have to maintain a huge swamp of downstream patches
3. ABI can still break even with perfect symbol versioning