Matt Turner wrote:
> > I think many mails in this thread suffer from some tunnel vision, expecting
> > that a libressl ebuild in the tree must continue to work exactly like the
> > openssl ebuild - I'm saying to stop that but do keep a libressl ebuild.

To clarify, by "stop that" I mean "stop efforts to make libressl a
drop-in replacement".

> If they suffer from tunnel vision, it's because the intersection of
> "people who care about libressl" and "people who have patches in
> gentoo.git" is the empty set.

Tunnel vision refered not to people but what a libressl ebuild delivers,
which you seems to have turned into an ad hominem against me?

Who will do actual work is a separate question, of course if noone wants
to then nothing matters, but it seems that some people /do/ care about
libressl; I suppose the 61 patches mgorny found were committed by someone.

If you were somehow trying to belittle /me/ then it's certainly true that
I'm not a Gentoo developer, but there are some patches by me in gentoo.git.

> I think we all understand your points: libressl could be kept in-tree
> and allow people to play with it. Unfortunately that requires much
> more work than removing it, and I haven't seen evidence that you're
> prepared to contribute to the required effort.
>
> I don't think you're going to convince a bunch of people with little
> interest in libressl per se to continue allowing the extra burden
> unless you do the work that's needed to keep it in-tree (e.g., to
> allow it to be installed beside openssl).

You seem to not understand my point at all.

As I've written I (like others) argue against "continue allowing extra burden"
and I've suggested and offered to help with one approach to keep a libressl
ebuild in the tree.

//Peter