On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 11:33:36PM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-12-28 at 22:00 +0000, Peter Stuge wrote:
> > Michał Górny wrote:
> > > LibreSSL users, does LibreSSL today have any benefit over OpenSSL?
> >
> > Yes, at least two:
> >
> > A. It is a distinct implementation with probably /quite some/ stable
> > compatibility, meaning that it will work perfectly fine as an
> > alternative in many cases.
>
> Except that it doesn't, as has been proven numerous times.

I just want to comment that I switched to LibreSSL on several Gentoo
systems years ago and never had any major issues.
I run both desktop and server systems with LibreSSL, based on X and
Wayland. The only issues I ran into is a slight lag of the overlay
behind the main tree so once in a while I had to mask a new version of
some package for a week or so.
So from a pure user perspective, thing change would mean a risky update
to systems running stable for years with no gain whatsoever.
So even if LibreSSL does not provide any advantage over OpenSSL
(anymore), dropping support would do harm.
That said, I do understand maintainer burden and I will probably be fine
with such a change. But I have to say that over the last ten years,
Gentoo does feel a lot less focussed on choice than it used to and I am
counting the days until is deemed 'unpractical' to support legacy boot,
non-systemd init or 'exotic' arches. ;-)

Best,
Marcel