Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> > I agree completely that it's unreasonable for Gentoo (worse, 1 person!)
> > to continuosly patch the entire world for libressel.
> >
> > I'm asking to stop doing that, yet still enable the choice between
> > openssl and libressl where that is possible without patches, even
> > if that's only openntpd and one other package.
>
> a) The two cannot be installed concurrently. To fix that would require even
> more hacks.

As we've discussed in another part of the thread, that's not really true.
Both can for sure be installed, just not in the same place and/or
with same names.

> -> all relevant ssl consumers on the user's system must be linked against
> the one selected

Also not the case. Considering the two installed in different paths
with same names it's still easy for consumers to use one or the other
with -rpath at link time.

I do agree that the two are not always 1:1 replacements for each other.
If they are API incompatible somewhere then for sure not.

I think many mails in this thread suffer from some tunnel vision, expecting
that a libressl ebuild in the tree must continue to work exactly like the
openssl ebuild - I'm saying to stop that but do keep a libressl ebuild.

> b) The libraries are not guaranteed to be binary compatible, so switching
> implementation requires rebuilding consumers.

We can only consider ABI compatibility if we have API compatibility,
which might not even be a given.

> c) If a single package that the user wants to install is not "fixed" for
> one ssl library, it blocks that option for all packages.

Please think of a libressl ebuild in a new way.

> I guess if you can come up with a solution that
> * provides secure usage of the libraries,
> * provides choice to the user, and
> * doesn't lead to unupgradeable systems or unresolvable dependencies
> we'd all be happier. So far we haven't found one.

Right! I think letting a libressl ebuild install only libtls could be a
good start, because it provides a stable situation, without risking
conflicts. Would you agree?

Thanks

//Peter