Thanks,

I already worked with 1-wire devices (DS18s20) with digitemp
http://www.digitemp.com/ but it was only to display outdoor temperature and
build charts with GD. But I never built an application to drive something
from Linux (e.g. from serial or // port).

I'll investigate your hardware tracks.




On 10/3/07, Marcus Priesch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 22:01 +0200, Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> > I meant I'd like to be able to control my heating system via a web
> > interface (over the LAN or Internet). But that's only an example.
>
> i have something here using the following HW:
>
> - extended my "home" server (pvr, mail, web, etc ...) with a few
>    1wire sensors connected to my heating system via usb (see
>    www.maxim.com) - they also offer free samples ;)
>    if you would like to try this i would also suggest to take a
>    look at the 1wire filesystem (http://owfs.sourceforge.net/)
>
> - the "GUI" (pygtk) is running on a hp ipaq running familiar linux
>    connected via wlan
>
> - there is also a web gui for controlling the settings, the GUI is
>    also network transparent - so can run anywhere in the world as long
>    as it can reach my "home" server ... e.g. on my laptop (as it's
>    python and gtk, it would also run on win32 and ...)
>
> - as the ipaq also has a serial interface, one could imagine to
>    put the complete heating control from the "home" server onto
>    the ipaq (there is also a 1wire to rs232 interface chip existing) -
>    and have a complete heating solution with a nice user interface
>    running on an ipaq ;)
>
> nb: besides displaying the heating controls the way i like best,
>      it also shows me weather forecast and temp. curves ... ,)
>
> there is lots of linux support ongoing for nice peaces of hardware, with
> or without display/input ... however if you need display *and* input i
> would suggest to think about some "state-of-the-art" pda running
> linux ... "not-so-bleeding-edge" hardware mainly is very well supported
> (like my ipaq), it's cheaper than the individual components and you dont
> have to fiddle around with hard and software settings ;) - not that i
> dont like doing this ;)
>
> for bleeding edge apps, the nokia n800 would come in handy here ;)
>
> > I already built a system to control the heating but it's standalone, I
> > miss the "web part", that's why I think embedded linux could do the
> > trick, the only problem I see is the hardware. I have a bunch of old
> > print server such as Axis or HP JetDirect equiped with Motorola µC,
> > but I don't know if it's possible to install Linux on it.
>
> although i have no experience with uClinux, i think you are rather
> limited on what applications you can run there - i think you would be
> better off investing some more bucks into better hardware to run a
> "full" linux on it ...
>
> cheers,
> mexx.
>
>
>
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list
>
>

Reply via email to