On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 13:13 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I think the current quality level of the 2.1 branch is good enough to make it
> a release candidate.  From my perspective, it seems like a waste of
> everyone's time to roll a 2.0.55 release when 2.1 is a perfectly good
> replacement (with lots of bug fixes relative to 2.0.54).
>
> I know there are probably some additional features that people would like to
> get into 2.1 before we make this transition.  Despite this, I think that it's
> in everyone's best interest to retire the the 2.0.x branch as soon as
> possible so that it doesn't waste people's time.  This transition doesn't
> necessarily mean that it's going to be "a long time" before some desired
> feature X is available in the stable version of portage.  The next release
> after 2.1 (2.2 or whatever) doesn't necessarily have to be too far off in the
> future.
>
> So, I'd like to create 2.1 branch that is closed to mostly anything except
> regression fixes and release it as portage-2.1_rc1 this Saturday.  We can
> continue to do ~arch releases of the development branch (2.2 or whatever it
> becomes) every 2 weeks.  Does now seem like a good time for this transition?
> Your feedback would be appreciated.

If this has been repeated elsewhere than sorry for the re-post.

The resolver still needs a bit of work before it's ready.

Handling of the || () in ROOT!=/ via the -K option is not in that
good of shape in 2.1_NXX and can't really be used. Till that's
addressed 2.1(re-ping jason) in my eyes absolutely should
not even be considered for any rc status.

Other than that I'm quite pleased with many aspects of 2.1

--
Ned Ludd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo Linux