We are using Gentoo for image generation systems used for high end training simulators (our product). The IT department supplies Redhat for the desktop systems. This is more a problem of IT being able to get certified training on Redhat and therefore something that they feel that they can put on a resume for the next job.

Also IT is not interested in having current updates on the desktop, all they want is one stable load that can last several years before the next update. They have just decided to go to Redhat 8.0 from 7.2. That should happen in the next year. Most of the desktops still run Windows 2000 or earlier.

Gentoo must have a CD distribution with certified training classes before it has a chance at my company.

I also have had problems acheiving a stable configuration and wouldn't recommend your standard desktop user be exposed to that much pain.

Mitchell James

gabriel wrote:

i'm hoping the lot of you will be able to help me convert my own company to gentoo with some usefull stats:

can someone fill me in on what "big" companies out there use gentoo?

if i get a reasonably strong list, it'll serve as some helpful ammunition in convertin this (mostly redhat) office to gentoo.

thanks