begin  quote
On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 10:17:36 +0200
Jose Gonzalez Gomez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Okay, I'll take the bait... here

>     Several people in this thread seem to associate graphical
>     installers
> with precompiled packages, why?

<<<SNIP>>>

>     And don't forget that I love Gentoo the way it is right now, just
> think that a graphical installer would be a great thing for Gentoo to
> gain mass adoption, that's all.
>
>     Regards
>     Jose

Okay, I might keep a fairly low profile theese days, several reasons,
most private, but I have to come in with a point here.

please, dont take this as an official "Gentoo"  opinion, its not
discussed in the devteam, its not politically correct and its
inflammatory and prejudiced and put some good people in a fairly bad
light.

One thing that scares me with the ease-of-install and simplicity, the
lowering of the threshold for users to install Gentoo, is this.

Bugs.

Most of you folks are horrid at bugreporting. "this doesnt work here"
is very common, the disrespectance between "Gentoo" bug and "User" bug
is very much odd. People go ages and call a problem "obvious" without
filing a bug.  people who claim their bugs are blocking the distribution
completely.

People file bugs without rebuilding with lower optimizations, common
issue, still is :   Oh YES! Gentoo, I can use CFLAGS="-ffast-math
-force-dropping-coredumps -O99-march=athlon-xp -msse2 -mmmx -m3dnow
-megafast -DBREAKTHINGS" so of course its your problem that you haven't
documented that -megafast  would break!

Yes, all this could be fixed by hiring folks or getting more users... Or
perhaps writing off all such bugs as WONTFIX: USERERROR, but it isn't
nice, polite or pleasant thing to do.  We try not to,  as most of us (if
not everyone) want to keep a friendly attitude.

Even worse, people who dont file bugs and then claim "its broken" .
Yeyy, how are we to know?  No, I dont use all the same packages in the
same ways as the users do. Sorry, no can do.

Of course, we could get more devs to fix "stupid user bugs"  but that
doesn't feel like the right way. unfortunately :/

Another problem with lowering the bar, is that the current installation
indoctrinates people on "Read the wellwritten manual carefully before
you continue" .. Graphical /userfriendly installers dont give the same
breaktrhough.. Thats why they exists, so users dont have to read
manuals.  (Joel on Software had this down good, "users dont read
manuals. In fact, assume users can't read."  )

Making the bugreporting harder to get to is another solution. Yey, make
it even more difficult to file a bugreport?  unfortunately that is
rather unpleasant thing to do when you want to file bugs. :-/

How do other distributions come through with this?  Debian devs are for
all that I've noticed distanced and hard to reach with support and bugs,
and a lot of them have the reputation of being flamemongers that do
nothing but bicker. *cough*

Slackware, I'm not sure, I haven't tried to get support there so I dont
know. Somone involved might be able to help there?

BSD: see Slackware.

Mandrake + Redhat + SuSE ..  :  Sell the support. Hire folks. all very
viable when you have an IPO and sell a product.  Not that good for a
"true" opensource project with only community support.

Well,  Thats my inflamatory rant on the subject of why I fear a
userfriendly installer that helps the less advanced users on their path
into the project.

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!