I manage development at a small software firm in
Australia.
We began running Gentoo on our development
systems about 8 months ago, and now have 5
systems in our office running Gentoo.
Before this we were using a mixture of windows,
redhat and mandrake linux.

The primary reason we run Gentoo is because
portage is far more user friendly and powerful -
far more "useable" - than any other linux package
management system.
In my opinion Gentoo is also easier to configure
than any other distribution.
The Gentoo documentation is great too.

Whenever we get a new programmer on i have
them install their own Gentoo system from stage 1 -
it's a great learning experience (especially for
developers who are not very familiar with linux to
start with).

I have often wondered what difference an
idiot-proof installer and binary packages stored on
the mirrors for portage would make to Gentoo..

I think it would completely alter the make up of the
userbase. It would take away from the advantages
Gentoo has over other distributions. It would
change the focus of the distribution.

If there are people out there that want gentoo with a
graphical installer or portage with precompiled
binaries - let them build their own distribution based
on Gentoo.

Would that make everyone happy?