On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:58:11 -0700
Zack Gilburd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > (not taking into account that
> > linux doesn't really need a anti-virus software).
>
> What a terrible assumption.

No it's not.

> A well thought out and planned attack can be executed and completed
> sucessfully against Linux than it can Windows.

Yes it can, but I wasn't talking about it. What I said was, that
under linux, you do no really need an anti-virus program.

Since my parents_do not_ download spyware, or any other software for
that matter, the only source for viruses is virus infested emails. And
as I see it, linux email-clients do not have nearly as extencive
'run-a-virus' or 'spread-a-worm' support as say OE.

> However, your box is not being rooted every five minutes because virus
> are not developed against Linux due to the fact that a very small
> percentage of people use Linux.

Yes, and if more people used linux, more viruses would propably exist,
but even then a regular user could only hose his/her own files, and not
the whole computer.

If more viruses existed, anti-virus program _might_ be needed, but in
that case I could easily set it up for them.

--
janne

"So act that your principle of action might safely be made a law for
 the whole world." - Immanuel Kant