> <quote who="Gwendolyn van der Linden">
> > I have the same problem with 2.5 / 2.6-test kernels with my 7500
> > mobility.  In my case the framebuffer does not autodetect
> correctly (I
> > get a very distorted display), and only lower resolutions work
> > properly if I hand-pick them.  The 2.4 series framebuffer
> works like a
> > charm without any kernel arguments!  I did try to follow the
> > differences in the radeon framebuffer code, but a whole bunch of
> > settings and defaults have changed, and I lost my way.
> >
> > Anybody know more about this?  I feel I didn't get enough concrete
> > debug info to report it to the appropriate list.
>
> Did you try the vesa driver?  Enable vesa driver in kernel
> and add the
> following for boot parameters where you can change vga= to whatever
> resolution you'd like.

No, I don't think vesa runs upto 1400x1050.  I can run the 2.6 kernel
radeon framebuffer in 1280x1024, so I don't see a need for using the
vesa framebuffer.  Anyway, because I do a lot of text editing in
framebuffer mode (emacs/vim), I switched back to 2.4.21, and have a
nice crisp 1400x1050 display.  Running an LCD on a different resultion
than the actual one always seems to give fuzzy characters.

My problem really is that the radeon framebuffer works so nicely for
2.4, but not for 2.6.

Gwendolyn.