First, trust me. I'm really seriously interested in understanding the
potential of this.

Jason Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
"Usually the button is configurable in BIOS so that it either powers off
straight away or powers off after the button is held for 4 seconds"

- Does this mean that the OS has no more than 4 seconds to do a clean
shutdown? (I douth so, since I couldn't make this happen on the most
feature-poor of any of my Linux installations, no matter the distro.)

- If not, what happens? Does the OS tell the BIOS that "OK, I promise you
to do a shutdown and a software driven power off. Trust me." ? By braking
that promise, the OS could effectively inhibit a power off action.

I doubt both of the above and believe that something smarter is going on. I
just wonder how it's designed to work.

Sorry to be so nagging about this, but I can see some interesting usage of
this.
Gus