On Monday 25 August 2003 13:39, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> On Monday 25 August 2003 18:21, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Does this mean that the OS can intercept you pushing the "power off"
> > button and do something?
> >
> > - Like booting to another OS on the same computer?
> > - Like doing a controlled shutdown instead of just letting the computer
> > turn off the power?
> > - Like even refusing to power off?
>
> Usually the button is configurable in BIOS so that it either powers off
> straight away or powers off after the button is held for 4 seconds, the
> latter being the default. When the button is depressed an ACPI event is
> generated, which the OS intercepts and reacts to accordingly. With acpid,
> your first two suggestions above are both possible - the third could only
> be the result of a buggy motherboard (or motherboard producer ;-).

And will this work if I'm running kde? I mean will it shutdown properly (i.e.
store session, close all open windows etc)? Is acpid configurable for that
kind of action?

TIA,
Dmitry.

P.S. Will acpid work with 2.4.20 vanilla sources?

--
WinErr: 678 This was the last level in Windows. Do you want to play another
game?